Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Luxe by Anna Godbersen


Two sisters, a servant girl, a best friend, and a hot mess of a boy. Throw in two-ish love triangles and you've got The Luxe. I kept reading and reading about this book, just like I had done with Twilight and then decided I just better read the darn book. I'm sure glad I did. What a fun book. It's set in 1899 New York City and alternates the five main characters points of view. I think the alternating viewpoints really made this book for me. I just can't get enough of that. The book ends not unlike a movie with a sequel in the makings already. It basically ends with a taunting, "you won't know how this ends until you read the next book!" If you even half liked this book you'll want to know what happens next in the sequel Rumors, out the beginning of June. I know I'm ready to find out what happens next.

On a side note, I think I'd really enjoy a movie version of this book if only to see these outfits brought to life, is it just me or does anyone else sometimes have trouble visualizing an outfit that's being described in a book. I think it's half I'm not so interested in people's clothes as the story itself and half I'm not really sure what they are talking about. That becomes somewhat of a problem in some chick lit novels.... I really liked the clothes in Marie Antoinette the movie, I think I'm just the type of person that has to actually see the outfit being described to fully grasp it. Does that make any sense?

4/5 Stars
Purchased by myself

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:29 AM

    Ohh, this sounds like a book I would love! The cover is marvelous - and yes, it does make you yearn for a film to see costumes like that :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...