Thursday, June 26, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

Visit Booking Through Thursday to read more answers!

What, in your opinion, is the definition of a “reader.” A person who indiscriminately reads everything in sight? A person who reads BOOKS? A person who reads, period, no matter what it is? … Or, more specific? Like the specific person who’s reading something you wrote?

When I ask someone if they are a reader, what I'm really asking is if they read a book more than say 4 times a year. Sometimes people roll their eyes at me like "Duh, how could anyone not be a reader" and then others, get what I mean, and answer "No, not so much". For a lot of the past several years of my life I would answer "I used to be, and wish I could be more so." These days I can proudly answer "Yes, I read almost everyday!"

So to me a reader is someone that actively seeks out books to read, most than once every season change. They don't wait for someone to insist they read a book and do it so they will stop bothering them.

What do you consider a reader?

10 comments:

  1. I love to see everyone's lists of books for 2008. It's so interesting to see the variety of stuff people read! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Compared to some people, I'm considered a book nut, but I still wish I had more time in the day to read.

    Interesting book list. I haven't heard of most of the books on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There have been times in my life when I read less than I do now, but I've always loved reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trixie- I agree! Even being the big time book researcher I am there are tons and tons of books I haven't heard about. I love looking at other people's lists!

    Sya- Me too! I read about an hour a day and compared to a lot of people I know, I'm obsessed. I also spent way too much time reading about books and buying books, when I should probably be reading the books themselves! In my Read in 2008 list you can see my transition from my graphic novel/comics to young adult fiction phase. With other stuff randomly thrown in!

    smilingsal- I think the only time I read more than I do now was when I was a little kid and it was summer time and I just found out about the reserve system at my library!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:13 PM

    Hmmm...this is a good question. I guess there are degrees of readers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. J Kaye- Yeah I just talked about it in the first way I thought of the word, but there are so many types of readers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear a lot of people say "Oh I am not much of a reader" and they through less than 5 books a year. I am known as the biggest reader in most of my circles - unless you count the online arena where certain bloggers make me look like a slacker!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your answer, readers being people who take the initiative to read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your definition!

    Yes, I decided to go ahead and do a giveaway quickly - I feel like I've won my fair share of book blog giveaways and want to give something back!

    I really enjoyed the Violet books - you'll have to let me know what you think of them. The third one is coming out in August, I think

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lenore- Ditto! People think I'm obsessed with books but compared to a lot of bloggers it looks like i have a mild interest in books.

    Marie- Thanks :)

    skrishna- That's awesome! I was toying with the idea of giving away Twilight because I had really enjoyed it but it seems like everyone is giving a Stephanie Meyer book away, and I want to be somewhat original! And yeah, the 3rd Violet book is coming out in August, I'm hoping to have read the first two by then so I'm all ready!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...