Sunday, October 26, 2008

Meet Delaney by Jackie Mahaney

From the back cover:

Jackie Mahaney is the author of this entertaining peek into the life of a single woman. It's the tale of Delaney, an intelligent, pretty young woman who is suddenly dumped by her then "love of her life" husband. Panic, joy, sadness, laughter ensue as Delaney dives into the singles world, from the "rebound guy" to online dating. We follow Delaney as she navigates through all of the twists and turns of being a single woman today. It's all here as we meet Delaney's colorful friends, and go through all of the wacky and sometimes deeply touching moments of her single life. So read along as Delaney desperately tries to find happiness and meaning in her world.

This is another one of those "following a person through their life" stories, but in this case more specifically single/dating life, told straight from Delaney's mouth. Delaney's husband asks her for a divorce and it tears her up inside but she eventually figures out how to get on with life. She makes new friends, starts going to places to meet men and have fun and starts to get comfortable being single.

I actually liked this book a bit more than I originally suspected I would. It's sort of gimmicky talking about all the different ways single people can go about finding a relationship but I actually liked having all the possibilities put out in front of me. It makes it really hard to get bored with this book because Delaney is always doing something new, keeps it exciting.

Delaney has a dog named Abby who I absolutely loved, she's definitely a friend for Delaney when she thought she had no one.

Two things I didn't like were how upset Delaney was in a few cases about being single, almost thinking it wasn't an option to not find a husband as soon as possible and also a list of "the top 10 things that women do when they become too comfortable in a relationship" I really sort of hoped the author was joking with a few of the items on the list. I would have also liked to know more about her job, she talks about it, but I didn't feel like there was enough back story for all the pieces to fall together.

What's your favorite single-gal story?

3.5/5 Stars
Review copy provided by marketing firm

6 comments:

  1. I'm curious--what are the top 10 things women do when they get too comfortable in a relationship?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:37 AM

    Ohhthis book sounds so much like a Danielle STeel book i read long time back.
    in that book also the main protagonists husband divorces after so many years of marriage and except for the dog everything sounds the same [ i mean the story line]
    i think i is called the Dating Game, but i will confirm and tell u :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:42 PM

    What a disappointment! I was keeping my fingers crossed that this book would get a better rating. I'm with Amee, can you tell us the 10 things?

    ReplyDelete
  4. amee and j. kaye- I'm going to email you a summarized version!

    veens- Really? I'll have to look up this book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I'm stumped trying to think of a single-woman book. That's pretty sad.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  6. anna- LOL! It's hard to think of something on the spot!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...