Wednesday, December 03, 2008

"Waiting On" Wednesday! 7

Unlovable by Esther Pearl Watson


A soon-to-be teen classic: Esther Pearl Watson loosely based this graphic novel on a teenager's diary from the 1980s found in a gas-station bathroom. Unlovable is a first-person account of Tammy Pierce's sophomore year in 1985. The comic has a devoted following because it is serialized Bust magazine: this is the first-ever collection and Watson has created over 100 new pages for the book, which details Tammy's the sometimes ordinary, sometimes humiliating, often poignant and frequently hilarious exploits. Her hopes, dreams, agonies and defeats are brought to vivid, comedic life by Watson's lovingly grotesque drawings, filled with all the eighties essentials - too much mascara, leg warmers with heels and huge hair - as well as timeless teen concerns like acne, dandruff, and the opposite sex (or same sex, in some cases) It will have special resonance for women and young adults. Unlovable will be handsomely packaged in a unique hardcover format with sparkly blue glitter.

Released on December 15th 2008.

Ok I am seriously freaking out right now! I read a snippet about this collection coming out about a year ago but you know these sort of things always end up getting delayed for some reason or another. A lot of the comics were published originally in zine format but were mostly out of print. 

And just by chance I looked up the author on amazon and what did I find! The book was coming out like RIGHT NOW! I'm going to pre-order this sucker this very minute! I've read her comics in Bust (actually the reason I subscribed) and got to listen to the author and her husband, who are both hilarious give a presentation a few years ago! GAH! So excited! They also wrote a great book about zines which I adore! Check that one out here!

What are you waiting on to be released? 

"Waiting On" Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine!

6 comments:

  1. I've never heard of these comics, but they sound very interesting. I can't wait to hear what you think of the book.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some seriously whacked illustrations!

    You should look up Dear Diary by Lesley Arfin. It is not a graphic novel, but it is hilarious. She goes back and follows up on what she wrote in jr high and high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one fugly cover. Lol, I literally gasped when your blog loaded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am waiting for Cracked Up To Be by Courtney Summers to be Published. BTW, I nominated for the I love your Blog award on my blog. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:21 AM

    I don't think there's anything I'm waiting on at the moment. Must remember to pay better attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna- They are a huge laugh! I can't wait to get it!!!!!!!!!!

    Lenore- Hahah! That's what make them so great, they are insane! I definitely need to buy Dear Diary sometime soon!

    Amee- Haha, that's what i love about them! LOL @ you gasping!

    Sarahbear9789- My copy came today and it's fantastic! And thank you so much for the nomination!

    After The Blackbird Sings- Sometimes it's best to just ignore new books so you can focus on what you already have i say!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...