Monday, January 12, 2009

3 Willows by Ann Brashares

From the publisher's website:

summer is a time to grow

seeds
Polly has an idea that she can't stop thinking about, one that involves changing a few things about herself. She's setting her sights on a more glamorous life, but it's going to take all of her focus. At least that way she won't have to watch her friends moving so far ahead.

roots
Jo is spending the summer at her family's beach house, working as a busgirl and bonding with the older, cooler girls she'll see at high school come September. She didn't count on a brief fling with a cute boy changing her entire summer. Or feeling embarrassed by her middle school friends. And she didn't count on her family at all. . .

leaves
Ama is not an outdoorsy girl. She wanted to be at an academic camp, doing research in an air-conditioned library, earning A's. Instead her summer scholarship lands her on a wilderness trip full of flirting teenagers, blisters, impossible hiking trails, and a sad lack of hair products.
It is a new summer. And a new sisterhood. Come grow with them.

3 Willows continues the tradition of friendship that The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants started and it does not disappoint. While comparable, 3 Willows explores a whole new side of friendship, friends that have grown apart and found new friends, do they still need each other? Following the three friends over a summer, the perspective rotates between the three characters with much less communication for awhile between the three characters, than in the original books.

Each of the three characters stories were interesting. Most exciting for me was Jo's summer at the beach, with trouble going on at home, Jo enjoys her job as a bus girl and an exciting relationship. Most relatable for me was Ama's story, a studious indoors girl goes to an outdoors camp, totally out of her element. And most heartbreaking, was Polly's summer, trying to find herself and what she's meant to be while her mother is always away at her studio leaving her home alone.

All of the stories were engaging, like with the original series, I didn't want to put down this book. It was interesting to see these friends who had grown apart, realize that maybe they wanted to actually still be a part of each other's lives and that maybe they still needed each other. There are mentions of most of the original characters from the Sisterhood series and even a few guest appearances, which was just great! Though they didn't share an article of clothing (not for lack of trying) like the original Sisterhood, the magic is still there and will please fans of the original series!

3 Willows is released on January 13th!

4/5 Stars
ARC received from publisher

Who is an author you enjoy so much that every time you hear of a new book by them you get really excited and have to read it right away?

17 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:18 AM

    That list would be too long...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have quite a few but definitely:

    William Tapply
    James Patterson (the Alex Cross series only)
    Beth Kendrick
    Kevin O'Brien

    and lots, lots more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know that I can read this without having read the sisterhood books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of this book. Also, the authors that make me squeal hysterically whenever they have a new book out are Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:59 AM

    3 Willows sounds so good - I love books about friendships. I love lots of authors - my whole family looked forward to Michael Crichton's books, so we were really sad when he passed away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had been scoping this one out... i'm glad you liked. it's on my tbr list now. thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't realize Ann had another book out. I will be looking for it now. Sounds really good. Did you read the Summer one yet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds awesome. I really do want to read this. :)

    Oh gosh, I don't know! I tend to NOT read some author's books right away b/c i have a ton to read, but i do love certain authors in that way...like nick hornby and augusten burroughs.

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, Random House sent me a copy and I can't wait to begin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really want to read this!!

    It's coming out soon in Australia I think. I was a traveling pants addict haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad you liked it! This is probably going to be my weekend purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this one on my shelf, I'm looking forward to reading it after your review!

    As far as authors: Carol Goodman

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another great Review! I posted a link to it on the ARC Challenge post.

    In answer to your question. That would be Kate Grenville. She just came out with a new book, already published in Austrlia. I just received an ARC from Harper Collins Canada but I had to promise not to post my review until May 15th. It's killing me to have it and ot devour it right away, but I want to try to hold off.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:07 PM

    Thanks for the review - I've been considering this for my daughter for a while, and you've convinced me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read any of her Sisterhood books but I've been wanting to. That's why I've been avoiding watching the films.

    That would be Charlaine Harris and Laurell K. Hamilton. Every time either one has a new book out, I'm one of the first at the book store after it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for all your comments and answers. I always love discovering new authors!

    Cindy- I still need to read her adult novel, The Last Summer (of You and Me) but i have it!

    Hope everyone enjoys this book and the original series if you haven't read it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds pretty good. I have yet to read The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...