Monday, January 26, 2009

No More Us For You by David Hernandez

From Publisher's Website:

For a life to come together, sometimes it first has to fall completely apart.

Isabel is a regular seventeen-year-old girl, still reeling from the pain of her boyfriend's tragic death exactly one year ago.

Carlos is a regular seventeen-year-old guy, loves red licorice and his friends, and works at a fancy art museum for some extra cash.

The two have no connection until they both meet Vanessa, an intriguing new transfer student with a mysterious past. While Vanessa is the link that brings these two very different lives together, will she be the one that can also tear them apart?

In his stunningly beautiful second novel, David Hernandez gives his readers a poetic and profound story that tells of two completely different teenagers and how through everyday life and monumental tragedy lies endless possibility.

This is a sweet and sometimes humorous book that deals with death, grief, life, and love. It wasn't exactly what I was had thought it would be like but there is nothing wrong with that! I loved reading the alternating perspectives of Isabel and Carlos, their private fears and wishes, and their thoughts about each other and their friends. I was expecting to get to know Vanessa a lot more than I actually did and I felt there were some loose endings left with her storyline.

I liked Carlos's perspective the most, everytime he was in the art gallery that he worked at as a security guard my ears perked up. I loved it all, the strange artwork, the crazy man that comes into the gallery to destroy artwork, and the artist that comes in to repair his neon sign piece that has partially burnt out. It was a great atmosphere that the author created. You could definitely tell the author has a background in the arts! This passages really shine for me!

I found this a hopeful book that shows a great snapshot of teen life but felt like it barely scratched the surface of what the author had created for himself to play with.

No More Us For You is released on January 27th.

Click here to Browse Inside the book!

3.5/5 Stars

ARC received from publisher

What's your favorite book that alternates perspectives?

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, I see you're reading a book by Jane Fallon! I'm curious to see how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Books with alternating perspectives? Hmm... I guess I call them he-said/she-said novels. In that case, my favorite would be Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen. That was the book that introduced me to he-said/she-said, AND it's beautifully written, with the perfect innocent romance, and important lessons in it to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound intriguing!

    As for alternating perspectives, I really loved In Your Room.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. S. Krishna- I'm back to it finally, it's a great book so far!

    Steph Su- I think I've seen that book before but I need to go still read about it! Thanks for the suggestion!

    Shooting Stars Mag- Yeah it was interesting! Well I'm so glad I mooched In Your Room from you then! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added the link to the ARC Challenge post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...