Monday, March 16, 2009

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Amazon.com:

In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

So I had heard this book was a bit scary and the blurb made me think instantly of the movie, The Village. I was beyond excited to read it and try something a little bit different for me. It started out great, I loved the writing and the simpleness of the town, a town that was full of secrets I couldn't wait to learn. I loved the hushed whispering of the Sisters and the romantic encounters between two of the characters and the path... the path that's off limits. I had to know where it was all going.

And then there was a lot of waiting and sitting around and I started to get kind of bored. I don't know if I was desensitized because of the connection I made to the Village and having seeing a funny zombie movie, Shaun of the Dead. But it just wasn't really to scary to me, slightly creepy I guess but that faded quickly. I did like the idea that this village is surrounded my Unconsecrated (zombies) at all times, they are just kind of there. But it just wasn't happening for me.

Originally I liked how simple the story was and the characters were, it was about their survival and love for each other and then after Mary talked about the ocean for the 100th time I realized that was all she was going to talk about, that and her love for Travis.

I think this book just might not have been for me. I did hear there were more books to come though and I do look forward to them, I think the next book might be of more interest to me. All in all, for me, a great beginning that kind of dropped off from there. Maybe this will be your cup of tea, it just wasn't mine.

The Forest of Hands and Teeth was released on March 10th.

2.5/5 Stars
Review copy received from publisher

Check out the trailer, it's really well done!

18 comments:

  1. well that's sad :( I'll still probably read it though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily Ruth- You should! It's just one opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! She did seem to have a one track mind with the whole ocean thing didn't she? But I guess if my whole world was snatched from me and certain death lurked around every corner, I'd probably cling to the one hope I had too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been curious about this one. Not quite sure it's for me, but I may give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A publisher offered it to me today. Used an email with a review and some blogger's quotes to push it. Funnily enough about three of the quotes were from bloggers I know well like Lenore!

    I am intrigued but doubtful. We'll see. I agree the trailer is awesome though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the honest review. There has been such hype for it that I have sort of been nervous to start it because what if I was the one person who didn't love it?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read this yet... I did have an ARC but I gave it away in a contest... I was nervous about the ocean-talk !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not much of a zombie person. I never even made the Village connection (love the movie!) but I also didn't realize it was about zombies before this review! I wonder if The Village inspired the author of this book. The similarity is just soo similar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Village was the first thing that came to mind as a I read the synopsis. :-)

    I am sorry this one turned out to be a disappointment for you. It's not one I would probably pick up on my own, but it does have an interesting premise.

    Great review, Alea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. :P that is all i have to say

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked this book a lot but I laughed when I read your comment about Mary talking about the ocean constantly. And I thought of this as a mixture of The Village and I Am Legend. Good thing I like both movies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh this one looks so creepy. We'll probably have the same opinion....I am not into zombies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wasn't sure about this one from the title, but I definitely think I'm going to pass on this one...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sad to see it wasn't any better than that since it's a local author for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The trailer gives me the creeps lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lenore- I agree, doesn't mean I want to read a book about it though lol!

    Adele- That's so awesome!

    Erika Lynn- I know how you feel!

    Amee- I know right?

    Literary Feline- I'm glad you agree and thank you!

    bermudaonion- You should still go meet her! I would!

    I definitely need to see I Am Legend now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this was the best book that i have ever read and yah u right it was like a mix between i am legend and thge village but i love both movies!!! I REALLY REALLY REALLY!! hope that somebody turns this into a movie because i would watch it over and over and over again!!!! this book was never boaring something was always happening always exciting i could never put it down not for a second i finished it in 3 days thats like a reccord for me!!! THIS HAS TO TURN INTO A MOVIE! if its not than i just might die!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I actually thought it was a great book. Reminded me more of Dawn of the Dead meets The Villiage, though. I get what you're saying about the ocean, how it got to be repetitive. Honestly, you have to really put yourself in that situation. If all you ever knew was the life you were living..and that's all your grandparents grandparents knew, one little light at the end of the tunnel may be your only saving grace. It's like only ever being given broccoli to eat and having someone tell you every day about how amazing ice cream is.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...