Sunday, March 01, 2009

The Season by Sarah MacLean

Amazon.com:

Seventeen year old Lady Alexandra is strong-willed and sharp-tongued -- in a house full of older brothers and their friends, she had to learn to hold her own. Not the best makings for an aristocratic lady in Regency London. Yet her mother still dreams of marrying Alex off to someone safe, respectable, and wealthy. But between ball gown fittings, dances, and dinner parties, Alex, along with her two best friends, Ella and Vivi, manages to get herself into what may be her biggest scrape yet.

When the Earl of Blackmoor is mysteriously killed, Alex decides to help his son, the brooding and devilishly handsome Gavin, uncover the truth. But will Alex's heart be stolen in the process? In an adventure brimming with espionage, murder, and other clandestine affairs, who could possibly have time to worry about finding a husband? Romance abounds as this year's season begins!

Review:

Did someone say perfect? Well I did! This is the most enjoyable, fun, and romantic book I've read in a good long while! And I suggest you read it RIGHT NOW!

I don't usually go for historical books, there are usually all sorts of things I haven't got a clue about (what are they riding in, what is this weird hobby etc, remember I remember nothing from history class) but in The Season but I didn't have to put up with that frustration and what was left were the beautiful clothes, traditions, and manners of Regency England. It was seriously so much fun and instantly put me in a good mood when reading.

The characters were absolutely wonderful, each with their own personality and vibrancy. Of course Alex was a wonderful character accompanied by her two friends Ella and Vivi, they made a great team be it out at a ball or doing detective work! I love the balance in the book between the trio of girls and Alex's three brothers and their family friend Gavin. A lot of great teasing and conversation going on! They all brought something to the table! Gavin was a brilliant character, and could make any girl swoon, good lord! It's impossible to not be memorized by him!

I wasn't sure exactly how the mystery would fit into the rest of the plot when I started reading and I think it worked in perfectly. While the mystery wasn't very hard to solve it provided a great element of suspense to the book! And brought certain characters closer together! And speaking of bringing certain character closer together, I felt like everything I wanted to happen did. While I was reading I would think to myself "Oh my gosh, what if this happened what if that happened" and then they did time after time! It was like the author was reading my mind or something! Very satisfying to read.

I really cannot say enough good things about this book. All I have to say is there better be more where this came from, I'm waiting!

The Season was released today!

5/5 Stars

ARC received from publisher

What is your favorite romance?

And P.S. Whenever Gavin aka Blackmoor was mentioned I couldn't help but think of the font, Blackmoor. Yes, I'm that strange! Hehe.

17 comments:

  1. You raved about this so much on twitter while you were reading it that I ordered a copy from Amazon. I hope that it arrives soon. Sounds like a really fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds great. I will have to get a copy soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try and read it soon. Thanks for the review!

    -Senfaye :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Alea! WOW! I'm blushing over here! :)

    I can't help wondering what happened that you wanted to happen...someday we'll have to have a long chat about it!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow! I just got this in the mail from a contest and I absolutely can't wait to begin now, I've heard soooo much good stuff about it! (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, love the Blackmoor font at the end of your post :D Your review got me excited too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to read this so bad after all your gushing! I wish this had been a paperback release!

    ReplyDelete
  8. totally agree, great review, totally makes you want to go out and buy the book!!
    my favorite romances are anything by georgette heyer, i just love her books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. With that high of a recommendation, how could I not add it to my wishlist? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's awesome that you thought of a font.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:05 AM

    I really love the cover. although I don't read a lot of historical fiction, this book has intrigued me. And a 5/5? Have to check this out. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this sounds just like my kind of book, old fahsined with a hint of romance:) awesome review!
    -amy
    btw:i nominated you for a your blog is fabulous award on my site...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I'm adding this to my TBR list based solely on your review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like an interesting story! I'll have to put it on my list :)

    I have tons of favorite romances but I really like Brenda Joyce's books, especially her Deadly series.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Irish- Can't wait to hear what you think!

    Mari- Yay!

    Senfaye- Sure thing!

    Sarah MacLean- You are so welcome! I was so excited to hear you have some adult titles coming out soon, i'll be on the lookout!

    Bookworm- I how you enjoy it!

    the epic rat- Oh good! I'm glad you liked that!

    Amee- Hopefully your library will have it!

    katayoun- I bought my first Heyer this weekend, thank you for mentioning her!

    Alyce- Hehe, it's so good!

    Lenore- LOL! I'm thinking I might have to incorporate my nerdiness for fonts a bit more!

    violetcrush- I don't read a lot of historical fiction either, and this book makes me think I might need to change my mind!

    Amy- Thanks again!

    S. Krishna- Aww thanks! I hope you enjoy it!

    Ladytink_534- Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the recommendation, Alea. I loved it and have been dreaming about ball gowns and dance cards since I finished.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...