Thursday, April 23, 2009

Busy Woman Seeks Wife by Annie Sanders

Borders.com:

To a casual observer, Londoner Alex Hill is every inch the calm and collected executive of a global sportswear company. In reality, she's constantly frantic, with barely enough time to take out the trash. When her demanding mother, a 1960s style icon, has a bad fall and has to move in with her indefinitely, Alex realizes she needs someone more committed than a maid-what she needs is a wife. An ad in the local paper soon produces a young woman who seems both enthusiastic and capable. But something odd is definitely happening behind the scenes of Alex's new, perfectly ordered existence. Someone distinctly male is charming her mother as well as doing all the ironing. He's no one Alex would ordinarily ever notice, never mind date. But now she can't help wondering if her new "wife" could perhaps have husband potential...

Busy Woman Seeks Wife has a very cute and original premise. I'm definitely not sharing more than what the blurb gives you, it's more fun to find out for yourself! While it was a bit slow to start, by the last 100 pages or so it was pushing ahead at full steam.

The whole story centers around Alex, who is busy beyond belief trying to put together a launch for a sports apparel crossover line. And she's sure that someone in her office is out to sabotage her. I will admit, she took awhile to grow on me but when she finally did I was totally on her side and I wanted her to pull off her launch without a hitch. I really liked how all the parts of her life and all the characters came together in the last 1/3 of the story, that was my favorite part.

My favorite character in the story was Frankie, a struggling actor that just so happens to be great at domestic chores. He was kind to everyone, from his flighty sister to "The Bean" an aging model and actress to the sweet Saff. Whenever Frankie was on the page I had a grin on my face.

I thought the saboteur plotline was really fun but there was never a question in my mind who the guilty party was. I also thought that Saff's (Alex's friend) plotline of realizing she wasn't satisfied with just being a homemaker was treated rather well and I also liked seeing Frankie's sister's (Ella) come into her own and mature a bit. I also completely understood Alex's feeling about her once famous mother "The Bean". Overall there is a great cast of characters here.

All in all a somewhat slow start but it completely ramps up to a great finish!

Busy Woman Seeks Wife is released on April 29th.

3/5 Stars
ARC received from publisher

13 comments:

  1. If the busy woman finds a wife that has a twin, perhaps she could send the twin my way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always said that I needed a wife. I'm hoping for triplets (see Beth K's comment) so I can have one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read a book last year by Annie Sanders and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the heads up on this one will keep my eyes out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! FYI, the authors are chatting today 4/23 at 1PM ET on Twittermoms.com Hope you can make it! http://www.twittermoms.com/events/discussion-of-busy-woman-seeks

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blurb confuses me. So is this young woman that responds to the ad really a guy? If this is spoiler-ish just email me. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute cover! I really want to read this book - and I am glad that you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the title of the book! I'd like a wife, too. Glad to hear the book holds up to the title's promise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So is this a lgbt novel or no? I am soooo confused lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jessica Marie- Sorry to confuse you! No it isn't GLBT... sorry to be confusing. I will tell you this though, as I told Amee, the guy is a different person than the girl that answers the ad.

    If you want more shoot me an email! I'll be happy to chat about it :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. i admire your discretion in keeping the plot a mystery! thanks for this x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with like everything you said here. :) A very cute book, and Frankie! O! Frankie! Loved him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've been splashed! Come pick up your award!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not sure about this one, but thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...