Monday, April 20, 2009

Deep in the Heart of High School by Veronica Goldbach

Borders.com:

Vanna Reynolds was popular and happy back in Plano, Texas, but now she lives with her mother in a tiny apartment in San Antonio. How can she start her freshman year as a complete nobody? Fatima Garcia does well in school and helps out with her family’s construction business, but is worried about her weight. So she’s thrilled when a junior starts paying attention to her – but is he really interested in Fatima? Olivia Silverstein tries to make life easier for her mother. Ever since her father died two years ago, she’s been the perfect daughter. When will she get to have her own life? When Vanna, Fatima, and Olivia meet at band practice in August, they quickly become best friends. Together, they are ready to tackle the matters of the heart that await them, deep in the heart of high school.Written with verve and touches of humor, the voices in this first novel ring with authenticity.

Deep in the Heart of High School is a classic novel of the coming of age of three friends. They each face their own set of problems individually but help each other become strong enough to face these challenges. Anyone that is a fan of Ann Brashares's The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series of 3 Willows, this book is for you.

I loved how heritage played a part in this story, all of the girls having different backgrounds but also sharing some things in common. It was also interesting to read about Texas, a place I've never been before. It sure makes me want to visit!

I think my favorite character was Fatima. She had a rather large family, but her older sister is somewhat estranged from them. Also, she's a bit on the chubby side with her mother constantly trying to help her lose weight, and also her friend Alex, who's she's been friends with forever but it feels like he's starting to see her in a different way. While I favored Fatima, I thought all the characters were well rounded and interesting.

I loved the band aspect of this book, that's what drew me to it originally. In the beginning of the book the band "food chain" is described and I found it hilarious, because apparently at their school I would have been one of the cool kids (the drummers).

All in all this is a sweet coming of age book perfect for YA readers of any age!

Deep in the Heart of High School is released on April 27th.

3.5/5 Stars
Review copy received from publisher

13 comments:

  1. Alea, what did you think of the cover? I ask for a very specific reason....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book sounds interesting when I am looking for a light read I might pick this one up. The cover helps too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw Beth I think I might dig myself into a hole but oh well.... I like the image but I'm not really fond of the "High School" treatment. I get that it's sort of a hand-done type treatment, but it looks a little shaky for my taste. Overall it's cute and I like that. So there we have it, now you must tell me why you ask!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never noticed she was holding a sax on the cover until now. I played the clarinet so I am sure that made me very uncool! (Not as uncool as the tuba player who was always a fat guy, but down near the bottom I'm sure).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does sound good! The band food chain sounds hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, at my school the drummers were the cool ones too (or at least the ones that got the most attention). I wasn't in band but pretty much every other student was, so I was friends with a lot of the band people

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good. *adds to pick-up-if-I-see-it list*

    And of course you'd be a cool kid! You're ALEA.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A band book! Well, I guess I HAVE to read it now. At my school all the Clarinet players are the cool people...Cough, me, cough....

    ReplyDelete
  9. NICE review...this story sounds intriguing. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. :) THis made me smile! I'm from Texas and went to High School here--the band thing is big in Texas cuz football is HUGE! I'm aware that in most places band is not necessarily a cool thing to be a part of, but in my high school, 55% of the senior class was a part. We had several cheerleaders and football players that were in band as well- performing kind of double duty. THe year I was a sophomore, the homecoming queen was a flutist. It was a great experience, and many of the people I played drums with went on to teach or start their own rock band. I loved every minute of it! :) Yay, TEXAS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor girl who had to wear the acid washed jeans on the cover... sorry :P I just don't like those.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is definitely for the band people that's for sure!

    Pen Pen- I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...