Sunday, April 05, 2009

The Diamonds by Ted Michael

Amazon.com:

At Long Islands’s private Bennington School, the Diamonds rule supreme. They’re the girls all the boys want to date and all the girls want to be. And fortunately for Marni, she’s right in the middle of them. Best friends with the ringleader, Clarissa, Marni enjoys all the spoils of the ultrapopular: boys, power, and respect. But then Marni gets a little too close to Clarissa’s ex-boyfriend, Anderson.

Wrong move. The Diamonds don’t touch each other’s exes.

And just like that, Marni is jettisoned from Diamond to lower than Cubic Zirconia.

But Marni isn’t about to take her ouster lying down. She has dirt on the Diamonds, and she’s not about to go down without a fight. Everyone knows, the only thing strong enough to cut a Diamond is another Diamond.

The Diamonds has a very clever premise. Beyond the always amusing friends turned enemies premise is the whole world of the court system and mock trial. I've definitely never read a book that involved the United States Constitution in such a way (or probably any way really)! I loved it! There are pieces of evidence (drawings, articles, rule lists) scattered throughout the book. It's really crazy to see the mock trial team turn into a huge after school event and basically take on a life of it's own away from the teachers' and Principal's eyes. The Diamonds basically controlled the whole student body from their perch in the "court room".

I loved this book! I could relate to coming to the realization that maybe your friend(s) wasn't as nice as you once thought they were once you were on the receiving end of their wrath. I like how Marni re-made herself a circle of friends and allies and learns to look beyond people's outward appearance or stereotype and get to know them for who they really are. I also thought her relationship with Head-Diamond Clarissa's ex-boyfriend, Anderson was really sweet. It seemed they had a real connection and I could understand why she would be willing to risk her friendship with The Diamonds for him.

There is also a lot of scheming and plotting in this book, it was great. I loved seeing how far everyone would go, and they went pretty far! I did wonder from time to time how teachers and the Principal could just allow this to go on, a little convenient if you ask me. There was one twist towards the end that I saw coming from miles away but I was sad to find out that I was right.

All in all, a great book full of scheming, laying down the law and high school politics!

The Diamonds is released on April 14th.

4/5 Stars
Review copy received from publisher

12 comments:

  1. Hmm. Sounds really different than I thought it would. Maybe it will go on my wishlist...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's totally the mock-trial that makes me want this ^_^ Otherwise Id have to say tough luck its your friends ex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Khy. Your review definitely piqued my interest. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The summary is really cleverly-written, and I've been wanting this book based off that! Your review makes me want it even more - I would have never guessed that Mock Trial is in the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does look more interesting than the cover lets on....

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one sounds good! I was a lawyer in one a mock trial for my "Law & You" class my senior year. I loved it! I really got into it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always interested in this one. I'm glad you like it. I'll try to find a copy to read : D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did mock trial in school and I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad to see a good review of this book!

    I want to read it so badly, and I was hoping not to be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really want to read this one!
    I didn't know about the whole mock-trial element!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you've piqued my interest. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Khy- I know, I was like umm why isn't the mock trial stuff in the blurb!

    Jen- Yeah it was a great surprise to see the mock trial stuff!

    the epic rat- I know, they should have talked that up more!

    Hope you all enjoy it if you do read it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...