Thursday, April 02, 2009

The Fortunes of Indigo Skye by Deb Caletti

Amazon.com:

Eighteen-year-old Indigo Skye feels like she has it all - a waitress job she loves, an adorable refrigerator-delivery-guy boyfriend, and a home life that's slightly crazed but rich in love. Until a mysterious man at the restaurant leaves her a 2.5 million-dollar tip, and her life as she knew it is transformed.

At first its amazing: a hot new car, enormous flat-screen TV, and presents for everyone she cares about. She laughs off the warnings that money changes people, that they come to rely on what they have instead of who they are. Because it won't happen...not to her. Or will it? What do you do when you can buy anything your heart desires -- but what your heart desires can't be bought?

This is the story of a girl who gets rich, gets lost, and ultimately finds her way back - if not to where she started, then to where she can start again.

The Fortunes of Indigo Skye was my first book by Deb Caletti, I really liked the idea of it but in the end it was a bit too predictable for me. Usually predictable is fine but for some reason this time it sort of made the story suffer for me, like everything happened so conveniently and easily.

Nevertheless, I still enjoyed the book. I thought Indigo was a rather likable character, how selfless she was and how carefree. She seemed to really love her life and only with the money she is given is she truly tested and ends up discovering more about herself and what she wants in her life. I also really liked the regulars (or Irregulars as Indigo calls them) that frequent the diner she works at. They were a great group of characters. I also really liked Indigo's relationship with her father, who left their family and moved to Hawaii, and how after all these years they are finally taking the chance to really get to know one another.

One character I didn't really care for was Indigo's boyfriend, Trevor, I didn't really see why Indigo would be attracted to him besides that they had been together for so long they were just comfortable with one another and frankly, Indigo seems rather easy to please. He started to get on my nerves after Indigo received the money and he assumed that it was "their" money, didn't even ask or tiptoe around the subject.

In the end, Indigo's journey to finding out who she is with the addition of 2.5 million dollars is an enjoyable one but a bit too predictable.

The Fortunes of Indigo Skye is currently out in Hardcover and will be released in Paperback on April 7th.

3.5/5 Stars
Review copy received from publisher

7 comments:

  1. well it's a neat idea, but I have to agree.. it seems a little predictable

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoot. Too bad the book was a bit predictable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I usually don't mind predictability either. I wonder if I would in this instance too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like books that are too predictable either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure if having that much money would change me (I'm pretty sure it wouldn't) but I would love to find out lol. Can you imagine how many books that would buy? I could open my own bookstore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I don't like books that are too predictable either. I might pass on this one. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah I liked it well enough but it just wasn't as great as it could of have and that was disappointing. And it's strange, usually being a bit predictable is fine but this time it bothered me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...