Monday, April 13, 2009

Heartbreak River by Tricia Mills

Amazon.com:

Hailey Abbott’s Summer Boys takes a weepy turn in this story of one girl’s attempt to tell her childhood friend how she really feels about him.

Alex thought she’d be spending the summer focused on her family’s rafting business, burying the memories of her father’s death last year, and leaving behind all the messes she made in its wake.

But when Sean returns to town, she is forced to reckon with her mixed-up crushy feelings for him—more powerful than ever before. It takes another tragedy to make Alex realize Sean has loved her, and forgiven her, all along.

Ooooh. This was almost exactly the kind of story I hope for when I find out a book has a romantic element. I loved it! A romantic summer with a bunch of cute boys who happen to be coworkers, and specifically two that catch the main character's attention, one because of her past with him and another for his flirty personality and British accent (although personally I would have gone for the bookish boy!). A cousin with a polar opposite personality and also a family tragedy, involving the death of a parent and a family that's trying to hold themselves together. It was a great set up and for the most part didn't disappoint.

I'm not one for sports in general and frankly the idea of rafting kind of scares me but it allowed for a beautiful backdrop for this story. Parties in the woods, swimming, a drive-in movie, a fun summer. It just worked and I loved it. I loved the yearning and the should I or shouldn't I say somethings. The flirting and the looks. I loved everything about it.

And then the events of the last 30 pages sort of put a mini-storm cloud over the book for me. It just went a little too far for my taste. I understood why the author did it but it still made me kind of sad. I guess I'm not really sure how else the book would have ended but that wasn't what I was hoping for. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed the rest of the book and the ending didn't really ruin it for me, just changed it a bit.

Heartbreak River is released on April 16th.

4/5 Stars
ARC received from publisher

18 comments:

  1. I just got this on Saturday, and I can't wait to read it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, this sounds like one of those books that reminds you what it's like to be 17 again. I love those books.

    definitely adding this to my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I'll probably give this a shot since there was so much that you liked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, glad it's your type of love story! I'd love to read this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:16 AM

    I love stories like this as well. You can never go wrong with romance. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice review! This sounds like my type of book as well. :)

    Also, what does it mean to add a link under the comments?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo...sounds very Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha - I like rafting, but I'm not a big fan of romance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You kind of made me want to read this one just to find out what happens in the end that you didn't like! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your very nice review. I'm so glad you liked Heartbreak River.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to get my hands on this one. Trish is an amazing writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The tragedy part makes me really apprehensive like they've killed him or something, but it looks really nice ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like a great one and I hadn't even heard of it before now.

    Thanks for the great review!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good review! Sounds like an interesting story and just in time for summer too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lisa and Laura- Exactly!

    Michelle- I agree, I love me some romance!

    Iryna- I'm not exactly sure. I think that might allow you to blog a link to the post you are on? If that makes any sense?

    Trish Milburn- You are very welcome! Thanks for writing Heartbreak River, I'm looking forward to what you write next!

    Jen- Don't worry! I don't want to spoil anything but I think you will like it!

    Michelle Zink- Oh yeah? I really enjoyed it thanks!

    Thanks everyone! I hope you enjoy it as well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...