Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Best Graphic Novels/Comics You Haven't Read

Kelly had the brilliant idea to shine a spotlight on some of the lesser known titles of YA with the help of some Librarything Statistics (number of users owning a book!) Since most of the titles that came up on my list were my favorites of 2009 (I haven't been reading YA that long!) I thought I'd try something a little different and feature some books I read and adored before I started writing reviews. Turns out some of my favorite graphic novels and comics I've barely spoken about so I'd like this opportunity to shine a light in their direction!

Johnny Boo: The Best Little Ghost In The World! by James Kochalka
5 stars
18 Librarything users list in their library

Johnny Boo is one for the kids (and me). I will guesstimate a reading level/interest of maybe elementary school? And it's a series, 3 out with a forth on the way. It's the story of Johnny Boo, his pet ghost Squiggle (pretty sure I bought it for him) and an ice cream monster. Really what else must a cute little graphic novel have?


Invincible Summer by Nicole J. Georges
5 stars
29 Librarything users list in their library

Invincible Summer is a grab bag of comics, illustrations, articles, pet portraits and more compiled from the first five years of Georges's Invincible Summer zine. Her style of drawing is just cute! The book is written as diary comics which I really love. I love how it's a chronological exploration of her life. <3




The Acme Novelty Library Number 18 by Chris Ware
4.5 stars
123 Librarything users list in their library

Some of you may be familiar with Chris Ware's graphic novel Jimmy Corrigan: The Smarest Kid On Earth. Well guess who hasn't even finished that one, me! This is the only book of his that I've read all the way through but I just adored it and am pretty sure I will become a complete fan girl once I read more of his work. The details in his illustration, the story... this is a wonderful book and I can't wait to see how it continues (the stories continue through volumes trading off with other stories).


Holy Moly by Leah Hayes
5 stars
8 Librarything users list in their library

This is so short it's almost a pamphlet! The illustrations are so odd and random I burst out laughing at almost every page! I started on Hayes Funeral of the Heart which is a much longer and entirely created on scratch board graphic novel but haven't yet finished it. So far it doesn't have that same laugh out loud quality though so to me this is the one to start with.



Tales of Woodsman Pete by Lilli Carre
4.5 stars
42 Librarything users list in their library

As I mentioned earlier this week, this is my favorite of Lilli Carre's books. I first saw an excerpt in The Best American Comics 2006 and was intrigued. It jumps back and forth between stories of Woodsman Pete and Paul Bunyan. It's quirky, cute, and little, just the way I like it!




I'd love to hear about some of the lesser known comics and graphic novels that you love! :D

15 comments:

  1. Tales of Woodsman Pete sounds like something for Daniel :)

    I like Lewis Trondheim's Little O and the French graphic novel series for kids Ariol (even though I barely read French).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any graphic novels which is so so bad, I need to remedy this, so this list is very helpful, thank you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lenore I'm going to look those up! I took French in high school but yeah not so good anymore...!

    LovesSam- Get on it! If you tell me what kind of story/illustration style you prefer I could try and think of something that might be a good fit for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pretty much graphic novel/comic book ILLITERATE, so this is a great "education" for me. Such a cool idea to focus on this genre!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Johnny Boo! I'll have to look up the other ones now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to have to track down Woodsman Pete for Mr. BFR. Sounds like something we would both like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right - I haven't read any of those, but they all look good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For you I am going to try to read a graphic novel this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love comics and graphic novels but I've never heard of any of these titles. Will definitely have to check them out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you guys enjoy these if you try them out! I linked to where you can buy them all! Let me know what you think if you read them!

    Pam- I hope you do, let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We saw Johnny Boo this past summer and I thought they were all really cute!

    Z's favorite right now is Otto's Orange Day by Frank Cammuso and Jay Lynch. It's for the younger crowd - early elementary school. Otto is really, really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Johnny Boo is adorable. I haven't read the rest but will check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh, these all sound like they'd make my head explode with all the cuteness they're projecting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alea, I'm organizing a giveaway on my blog of the top 12 most obscure unsung YA picks, and Holy Moly made the list!

    I haven't heard back from the author yet on whether they have a copy they would be able to offer for the giveaway, but I wanted to check with you to see if you might have a copy you'd be willing to part with for the giveaway?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the look of Invisible Summer. That and Tales of Woodsman Pete are going on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...