Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hardcover vs Paperback 77

The Local News by Miriam Gershow

Hardcover


Paperback

Amazon.com:

When fifteen-year-old Lydia Pasternak’s popular older brother Danny disappears late one summer night, she unwillingly becomes a celebrity in her community and an afterthought to her bereaved parents. In Danny’s absence, Lydia blossoms from a bookish outcast to the center of attention, all while grappling with her grudging grief for a brother she never particularly liked. When an intriguing private investigator enters the picture, Lydia finds herself drawn into the search for clues to Danny’s whereabouts. The shocking end to that trail of clues—an end that Lydia never prepares for—will haunt her for the rest of her life. An authentic and at times surprisingly funny dissection of public and private grief, The Local News is an accomplished, affecting debut.

I always thought the hardcover was very interesting for this book. I've never held the paperback in my hands before but from what I can see online it's hard to make out that that is a girl kneeling in the snow (if that's even what it is). I do like how the type turns into a male profile that wraps around the girl's head though. And I think the type is interesting on both.

Hardcover or Paperback?

Have you spotted a Hardcover vs. Paperback you would like to contribute? Send me an email!

9 comments:

  1. I like bits of both... the hardcover's really intriguing, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's wrong with me lately? Neither grab me at all. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had trouble figuring out what she's doing in the bottom picture too. I'm not crazy about either cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hardcover for sure. The paperback is a little weird, though I like the was that the type creates a face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not so crazy about any of the covers, they seem a bit ambiguous to me, but maybe thats because i haven't read the books. I love the text style on the paperback though, its very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not in love with either one, but I think I would prefer the paperback

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hardcover for me. The paperback looks washed out, but I might feel differently if it wasn't flushed against a white background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't really like either of them all that much (although I liked the book!), but I hadn't notice the male profile on the bottom one until you mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hardcover for sure--love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...