Monday, September 20, 2010

Don't Stop Believin' The Unofficial Guide to Glee by Erin Balser & Suzanne Gardner

GoodReads.com:

he kids in McKinley’s high school’s glee club “New Directions” might not be the most popular in school. For every chart-topping song “New Directions” belts out at practice the glee kids are liable to get a slushie tossed in their face by a football player or harassed online by the creme-de-la-creme of the school, one of McKinley’s “Cheerio” cheerleaders. But fictional popularity aside, the television show Glee is unquestionably a runaway hit, and audiences can’t get enough of their story: from the songs to the students, and especially the wacky teachers.

Don't Stop Believin': The Unofficial Guide to Glee is for Glee fans who demand more once the curtain falls. From information about the stars, the music, the trivia, and the in-jokes, to analysis of each relationship and fashion choice, Don't Stop Believin': The Unofficial Guide to Glee is the go-to guide for all things Glee. The book is thorough enough to satiate even the most dedicated of fans, yet accessible enough that a casual viewer can enjoy it.

Don't Stop Believin' in my mind was pretty perfect when it comes to giving all the dish and facts on Glee. It starts off with a few chapters on how Glee came to be and backgrounds for all the main cast. Then it dives into the bulk of the book, breakdowns of all the episodes.

I loved how the episodes were broken up into sections, so say you weren't interested in the best Sue quotes from the episode (How Sue Cs It) then you could just skip that section, but who wouldn't be interested in that! I personally read and enjoyed all the sections, my only comment would be that it would have been nice to have a Brittany quote section, though her quotes often popped up in other sections of the recaps. I also thought it was cool that there was a section that compared Ryan Murphy's other show Popular to Glee (That's Pretty Popular), which made me decide it was about time to watch Popular again, and so I am.

I think this guide lends itself wonderfully to all sorts of Glee fans, the ones like me that want to gobble up all the information all at the same time and read it straight through, and those that would prefer to leisurely flip through when they are watching a certain episode, it's all here. There is even a small section of color photos in the middle, not so large that it eats up the rest of the book but enough to give your eyes a rest half way through.

If you are a fan of Glee, hands down this Glee guide is for you!

Don't Stop Believin' was released on September 1st
Genre: Non-Fiction, TV
5/5 Stars
Review copy provided by the publisher

11 comments:

  1. I love how excited you are for Glee. While I enjoy the show still, I just can't get all gung ho for it anymore. I'm hoping the premiere will revive my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this show! My boyfriend and I started watching it this summer and are finally caught up in time for tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I saw this book in a store, I'd think of you. I'm so glad you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am mildly obsessed with Glee. But probably more. I am DEVASTATED that I have a meeting tomorrow night, so I won't be able to watch or go online because there will be spoilers everywhere!

    But yeah, great review! And I definitely want to check this book out. Because I love me some Sue quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay Glee!

    Alison- That is a total bummer! Hopefully your Tuesday meeting will be a one time thing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still haven't watched this show though I'm almost positive I'll like it. It seems like every time I get hooked on a show it gets cancelled though :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soo jealous you got this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ladytink_534- Glee is for sure going through Season 3!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does it talk much about Brittany, Santana, Mike and Matt? I'm kind of in love with all the minor characters :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will- There are bios for all the actors, and a lot of the Brittany quotes are mentioned, they are sort of mentioned as much as they are on the show if that gives you an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...