Thursday, September 16, 2010

Drinking at the Movies by Julia Wertz

Amazon.com:

In her first full-length graphic memoir, Julia Wertz (creator of the cult-hit comic The Fart Party) documents the year she left San Francisco for the unfamiliar streets of New York. Don’t worry—this isn’t the typical redemptive coming-of-age tale of a young woman and her glorious triumph over tragedy or any such nonsense. It’s simply a hilarious—occasionally poignant—book filled with interesting art, absurd humor and plenty of amusing self-deprecation. Box by box, Wertz chronicles four sketchy apartments, seven terrible jobs, family drama, traveling fiascos, and too many whiskey bottles to count.

Being a fan of Fart Party, I was so excited to see Wertz had a new book out and in this case it's a more of a whole store, a graphic memoir, instead of stripes compiled together.

I really think there was no way I couldn't like this book, Julia travels to New York to see what she thinks of it there and being a fan of New York myself I love reading about people's experiences with it.

While we might not have a lot in common hobby wise (I SO don't like beer), I feel like she's the comic voice of my generation. She perfectly describes what it's like to be a 20-something, sometimes you just have no idea what is going on with your life and it sucks. Through it all though she keeps a mostly positive attitude and finds new adventures and discovers more things about herself.

Wertz's sense of humor is great, and no it's not just a fart party people! She's funny and her illustration style is approachable, she keeps it simple and that's what I love in my graphic novels style wise. Besides the humorous bits she mixes in the hard parts of her life and the troubles with her family, to me it flows really well and it extremely honest yet she never gets to down, always seeing the hilarious side of every situation.

If you want to try something a little new and different in graphic novels and are ready to break away from the "classics" of graphic novels, give this one a try!

Drinking at the Movies was released on August 31st 2010
Genre: Graphic Novel
4.5/5 Stars
ARC from Amazon Vine

7 comments:

  1. Ooh this one looks fun! Thanks for the review... I'm going to look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does look like fun, and what a great title! I have to admit it brings back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that this sounds unique. I think I may just have to give it a try :) thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unique is the word. What a different title~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zomg! Most fun I've had on a Thursday night. Thanks for this. I had never heard of Fart Party and have giggled myself silly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this before now but the webcomic I just went to read at Fart Party didn't appeal to me at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finally picked this up and read it (and I already love Fart Party!) and it was so good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...