Saturday, January 01, 2011

Yarn Diet 2011



Today is a scary day. I'm officially on a Yarn Diet until June 1st of this year. Now before you go "Oh yeah right you can't do that Alea!" I will tell you I am allowed to buy as much yarn as I want 5 times during those 5 months but really 5 times is not very many times!!!!!!! And if I use up half of my yarn before June 1st I'm done and can go back to my yarn buying ways! Even though I'm new to the yarny crafts (I only learned the very end of last February!) I have gathered quite the stash!

So in preparation for this challenge I took another set of pictures of my stash, pulled out every single skein of yarn and then counted them all! I'm afraid to say it but I ended up with 381 skeins, even beyond my own guess! HOLY CRAP! Here is a flickr album of all the yarn and in the descriptions I put all the projects I have planned for the yarn so I won't forget and can focus on those instead of finding new projects (and new yarn) to want!

I do have a set of needles from Knit Picks, a ball winder, a swift and a few final skeins of yarn on the way which will hopefully ease me into my diet though!

To read all the details check out Tami's post here! Also, please feel free to join us, we could use some other people to share our misery! :P

13 comments:

  1. I feel for you. I am a reformed yarn hoarder myself. I used to be way into knitting and felting.I had an entire room of my house that was devoted to yarn. I had it split into sections: brand, type, color, etc... it was nuts. Now, I'm down to a couple of drawers of yard (mostly Lamb's Pride Bulky).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! :) But it's a great hobby! Do you knit or crochet? I love knitting, but I've never really learned the craft. Meaning I can make about the longest scarf ever and then unravel it because I don't know how to end it (I should work on this). Its so therapeutic. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy yarn Batman! I can't imagine you won't make it to June with all of that, LOL Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's an impressive stash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Well Read Wife- That's where I hope to end up and soon!

    Miss Remmers- I do both actually! If you want I could get you a video on casting off, you already have all the skills it's just a slight bit different!

    Michelle- Thank you!

    Joycers- Most of it I have gathered in just the last few months, it's crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm on a Craft Diet, myself. I have so much ribbon and fabric and buttons and beads and ink pads and stamps and... Too much stuff. I've committed myself to using up my stash before I buy new things or teaching myself a new technique. I really want to teach myself to knit and crochet so using my stash is incentive for that, as well. I'll probably develop a yarn buying problem, too.

    What is it with buying materials that you intend to use for a project, and then just letting it sit around?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe you have that many skeins. I'll be counting mine today and hope to not have that many. LOL We'll see. It's easy to not realize the amount when they're nicely tucked away out of sight. My pictures won't be as organized as yours though, I plan to keep them in their chest and just take a top down of those.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jazz- Good luck! Oh my gosh I know, it's totally sales that got me buying all the excess!

    Tami- I wanted to spread them out a little just so I could easily count them and see what they were. I won't be doing that again for a LONG TIME. I even got out the step ladder haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm plunging into the Yarn Diet with you! I love your idea of cataloging the yarn photos with project suggestions in Flickr, that's a great organizational tool...maybe I'll do it too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. SillyLittleLady- Feel free to do it! I can't wait to see it! When you are done you can leave your link in the Mr. Linky in the official Yarn Diet start post here: http://tamisamis.blogspot.com/2011/01/yarn-diet-11-part-1.html

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That's an impressive amount of yarn. Will you still be able to buy needles and other supplies if you need them for a project?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melanie- Of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that's a lot of yarn, I must be a pathetic fiber artist, I can count my stash on 2 hands still.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...