So instead of doing a review (since I have no idea what was cut out) I thought I'd do some comparing and contrasting! This weekend I did a refresher on the show and watched the first few episodes.
Compare and Contrast:
-The characters for the most part seem to have the same personalities.
-Vanessa is a lot more important in the books than on the show. She goes to the same school as the girls and sounds more badass.
-Eric is Serena's older brother in the books and away at college and on the show he is her younger brother and lives at home with Serena.
-Chuck is scarf boy in both the show and the book.
-Seems they use more drugs in the book than the show. After the first episode you don't really see any to my recollection.
- Jenny has "big boobs" in the book and they don't let you forget it!
-Dan and Jenny's dad Rufus seems maybe not as nice in the books and is wealthy.
- Serena's and Chuck's parents are both still together in the first book, I think?
- Blair's mother has a boyfriend in the book and not in the first few episodes. Her father has left her for a man in both.
- Dan smokes in the book but not on the show.
- Serena and Dan meet in a totally different way on the show than in the book but the night ends the same way.
-Blair and Nate's relationship seems about the same in both.
So that's what I got. I'm sure there is more. What have you noticed?
Here are a few questions I have:
Do we ever find out what body part of Serena's was plastered in the ads in the book? I don't recall them ever saying what it was in the book, maybe it was abridged out! Or in the second book?
Did anyone else notice that Blair's mom is a totally different person between the Pilot and Episode two?
And who the heck are the people on the cover of the book?
What did you notice when comparing the tv show and the first book? Which do you like better?