Monday, January 05, 2009

Beautiful Americans by Lucy Silag

From Publisher's Website:

What happens in Paris…

Secrets—
PJ’s deep blue eyes and angelic long blond hair conceal a truth that’s anything but. Will her dark past stay where it belongs in the backwoods of Vermont, or haunt her in the city of light?

Passion—
Always the good girl, Olivia plans to twirl her way to the top of the Parisian ballet scene. But that’s not supposed to include dancing on a table all night…or stumbling into the arms of the wrong boy.

Lies—
With his emo-trendy bedhead, hilarious comebacks and Southern drawl, Zack could win over anyone. Too bad he’s after the only one who’s forbidden…

Scandal—
All Alex wants from Paris is to nab that berry-red Dior coat and seduce the perfect penny-loafer-wearing boy – and Alex always gets what she wants. But will her scheming pay off? Or is she risking more than she knows…?

Alex, Olivia, Zack and PJ are spending a year at the prestigious Lycée de Monceau in the sparkling city of Paris. This is their chance to sip cafe au lait in Le Marais, throw secret parties in their host families’ Versailles-size apartments, and have the time of their lives. But when the secrets they thought they left behind come out, everything could be ruined…

Beautiful Americans was an engaging and exciting book. For anyone that has dreamed of studying abroad this book is for you and for anyone that wants to relive their study abroad experience this book is for you too! Told through 4 voices, everyone is bound to identify with one of the characters. I personally saw a little bit of myself in each of the four characters (PJ, Olivia, Alex, and Zack). Also, each of their 4 overlapping story lines fought for the spotlight, I couldn't pick a favorite!

We have PJ, who can't leave a family problem behind and it effects everything she does. Zack who is ready to come out of the closet and meet a cute boy, but his shyness holds him back. And Olivia, the good girl with her life all planned out at home, with a sweet boyfriend waiting for her. I felt I understood where all the characters were coming from aside from Alex, a New York fashionista who gets everything and everyone she wants.

At first I really liked Alex but then time after time she walked all over everyone and did anything she wanted, assuming that just saying sorry every time would make it all better. She was too focused on herself to really notice anyone else being effected by her until after she had hurt them. I'm really hoping that she redeems herself in the second book. I really want to like her! But, one thing I really liked about this book was being able to see each character from their own perspective and then everyone else's. It's really interesting to see what they keep inside compared to what they show the world, as will everyone.

The book takes place during the first semester of a year year long study abroad experience. I personally cannot wait to see where the story picks up and what is going on with all the characters when the story continues!

Beautiful Americans is released on January 8th!

4/5 Stars
ARC received from publisher

Have you read a book that takes place during a study abroad experience before?

13 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting -- I'm always curious about Americans abroad. Beautiful or ugly, not all of my fellow countrymen blend in very well.

    Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:29 AM

    Sounds like a good book. I love stories set in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading this book right now! I'm at December right now, so almost done! I love it! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read a study abroad book, it sounds like it would be interesting.

    I'm also stopping by to let you know that I've given your blog an award.

    http://athomewithbooks.blogspot.com/2009/01/butterfly-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:26 PM

    I got an ARC of this book... I wasn't sure whether I'd actually get around to reading it, or even if I really wanted to, but your review has made me reconsider that. It may be moving up on my TBR pile. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read this one! It sounds great. I've never read a study abroad book, that I can remember...but I do love the books about boarding schools and such so this should be fun in the regard!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, 4 different voices. I'll definitely check this one out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally going to have to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice review Alea! I added your link to the ARC challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah this one was really fun, hope you all enjoy it if you decide to read it as well!

    Study abroad=awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jolene10:25 PM

    I just finished Beautiful Americans like literally three minutes ago and it was amazing! It was really cool seeing teenagers sent to Paris to study abroad and all the trouble they get into and how four very different teens find comfort with each other. I loved how every one had secrets from miss perfect to the perfect daughter. I was amazed at how it just left a cliff hanger I really really hope Lucy Silag makes a second book to Beautiful Americans, does any one know if she is or not? I loved the book and it actually got me interesting in studying abroad now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jolene- The next book, Wanderlust, comes out in December!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...