Monday, January 05, 2009

Houston, We Have A Problema by Gwendolyn Zepeda

From Publisher's Website:

Jessica Luna is your typical 26 year old: she has man trouble, mom trouble, and not a clue what to do with her life (though everyone else in her family seems to have plenty of suggestions!) After a lifetime of being babied by her family, Jess is incapable of trusting herself to make the right choices. So instead, she bases all of her life decisions on signs. She looks to everything for guidance, from the direction her rearview-mirror-Virgin-de-Guadalupe sways to whatever Madame Hortensia, her psychic, sees in the cards.

When her sort-of boyfriend Guillermo, a gifted unmotivated artist, disappoints her again, Jessica thinks it's time to call it quits. Just to be sure, she checks in with Madame Hortensia who confirms that yes, it is time for a change. (Who knew $20 could buy so much security!) Right on cue, Jess meets Jonathan; he's the complete opposite of Guillermo--of all Jess's boyfriends, in fact. He's successful, has a stable job....and is white. Jess isn't sure if Jonathan is really the change Madame Hortensia saw. Sure he gives great career advice, but is he advising her on a career she actually wants? And yes he's all about commitment, but is it Jess or her mother who really wants marriage?

Jess runs back to Madame Hortensia for advice, but even she is out of answers. Now there's only one thing that's certain: no one--not her mother, her sister, her boyfriend or her psychic--can tell her what to do. For better or for worse, Jess will have to take the plunge and make her own decisions if she wants to have any future at all.

This is a really fun and heartwarming book about a twenty-something's journey through love, work and family. During the day Jessica works a dull job at an insurance firm but all she wants to do is design websites. To ease her stress she's been seeing a sexy artist but she's unhappy about where the relationship is going. Jessica is superstitious and turns to signs, omens, and especially Madame Hortensia to help her decide what path to take in love and life. Mix in a little family love, drama and some cultural tension and you have the makings of a lovely story!

I really enjoyed this book! Starting my first full-time job about a year ago I'm always interested in stories involving twenty-somethings in the work place. It's fun to compare and contrast their experiences with my own. I also loved Jessica's background and interest in the arts, seeing as though I have that same background!

Going into this I thought this would be your basic chick-lit, but it was more than that. It deals a lot with family and the tension that can arise between sisters and even husbands and wives. I also was very interested in the growth that Jessica goes through when it comes to accepting others for they are on the inside rather than what they appear to be on the outside.

This is a great book, full of interesting characters, humor, and growing up! It's very satisfying to see a character evolve throughout a book, learn to depend on themselves, and go out and get what will really make them happy!

Houston, We Have A Problema is released on January 8th!

4/5 Stars
ARC received from publisher

What's the last book you read that turned out to be much more than you had originally expected?

11 comments:

  1. I just could not get into this book. The main character was sooooo annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All she wants to do is design websites?! Wow, 99% of the time it is not that glam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lenore- I should have taken more web design classes though, it pays way more than graphic design. :( Though, I really really hate doing it! It hurts my brain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like seeing characters in the work place. I'm heading there fast! Lol, it's scary how fast it's coming. A little chick-lit should soothe my worries though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:28 AM

    Well, I didn't think I'd like this one until I read your review. Now, I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:08 PM

    Stop making the books sound so good! I have too many on my wish list and it's only the 6th!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought this one would be good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this review, I might pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I posted a link to your review on the ARC Challenge page. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh this book sounds awesome! And I'm from Houston!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tina- I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it very much!

    Amee- When I was graduating everyone around me was saying i can't wait, i can't wait. I never once said that, i'd be happy going to school for the rest of my life probably, lol!

    bermudaonion- Hope you like it if you read it!

    J. Kaye- Sorry! LOL!

    Luanne, S. Krishna, robin_titan- Let me know how you like it if you read it!

    Teddy Rose- Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...