Monday, May 04, 2009

Being Nikki by Meg Cabot

WARNING: Do not read if you haven't read the first book in this series, Airhead.... spoilers ahead!

Amazon.com:

Things aren't pretty for Emerson Watts.

Em was sure there couldn't be anything worse than being a brainiac the body of a teenaged supermodel.

But it turned out she was wrong. Because that supermodel could turn out to have a mother who's gone mysteriously missing, a brother who's shown up on her doorstep demanding answers, a former best friend who's intent on destroying Stark Enterprises to avenge the death of his lost love, and a British heartthrob who's written a song about her that's topping the charts.

How can Em balance all that with school, runway shows, and weekend jaunts to St. Johns - especially when she's got ex-boyfriends crawling out of the woodwork who want more than just a photo op; a sister who is headed to the high school cheerleading championships; a company she represents that seems to be turning to the dark side...

Not to mention trying to convince the love of her life that models aren't really airheads after all...especially one model in particular.

But then, nobody said it was going to be easy being Nikki.

*SPOILERS from Airhead*

Being Nikki basically picks up where Airhead left off. Emerson is trying to lead her own life and Nikki's at the same time. Going to high school but also working as a model. How does this girl have time for anything?? I think it's beyond hilarious watching Em try and be herself in the body of a teen supermodel, talk about polar opposites. But you know, I feel like she eased into the transition a little easier than she could of. Especially where the boys are concerned. She sure learned to use Nikki's moves to her advantage a little quicker that I would have expected. I would have liked to see Em's awkwardness explored a little more.

While the beginning of the book seemed like just a continuation of Airhead, (the first book in the series) everything sets off on a new path with the introduction of Nikki's brother Steven and the case of his missing mother. It opens up a can of worms leading to a lot of questions and conspiracies and answers! (yay answers!)

I really like how all the players from the first book remain (Frida- Em's sister, Gabriel Luna- the British singer/songwriter, Christopher- Em's best friend/crush etc, Brandon- Nikki's boyfriend and LuLu- Nikki's Celebutaunte roomie) but several new characters are introduced into the mix. Oh my goodness, by the end of the book I was practically screaming with excitement, that was by far my favorite part of the series so far!

Em continued to repeat herself a lot in this book, just like in Airhead. Since I haven't read Cabot's other series I can't say if this is just something she does. Anyone know?

The ending sets up a really great plotline for the third book in the series, Runaway and I cannot wait to see what happens next! All in all a strong second installment in the Airhead series!

Being Nikki is released on May 5th!

4/5 Stars

ARC received from publisher

11 comments:

  1. i couldn't agree more! I adored this book to death! It's such an addicting read and that's just megs style-she rambles alot. You get used to it...If only runaway were already out....:)
    -amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this one. Darn those hardback prices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not fair! I don't have Being Nikki yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4 1/2 stars!! OMG! I can barely wait until my daughter finishes it now! BTW, I 3> the cover of Genesis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a brilliant review!

    I am a HUGE fan of Meg Cabot and her Airhead series so this review just made me even more excited for Being Nikki. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meg does tend to do that, have the character repeat how awkward they are or a situation is. I guess I've been reading them so long I don't even think about it anymore. I'm glad you liked it, too! Wasn't the ending a trip?

    ReplyDelete
  8. stop posting the same review as I am xD

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to need to get my paws on this book. Airhead was FAB and I needneedneed to see what happens next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:24 AM

    love the first two books of the Airhead series and can't wait for runaway...does anyone know when it is being released?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...