Thursday, July 30, 2009

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Borders.com:

Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, but she keeps to herself and doesn't date much because of her "disability" to read minds. When she meets Bill, Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's the type of guy she's waited for all of her life, but he has a disability, too--he's a vampire with a bad reputation. When one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next.

Upfront I will say that before I read Dead Until Dark I had seen Season 1 of True Blood so it was an exercise in compare and contrast for me. And this is one of those rare cases where I liked the show a bit more than the original source material, the book. But no matter, I still enjoyed the book and am excited to continue reading the series and watching the series to see what other kinds of adventures Sookie gets into. I've tried to close my ears to spoilers but a few minor things have gotten through and they sound exciting to me!

While Season 1 of True Blood follows the same basic plot it was interesting to see the few differences, who was present for what and even a few characters that were a bit different or not even present in the book. Since the book is told from Sookie's perspective and the show follows all the characters around you hear everything straight from Sookie in the books. I think that made it a bit harder to get to know all of characters as well as you do on the show, but at the same time makes Sookie more lovable because you are with her the whole time. I love the world that the author has created, vampires living out in the open with humans and whatever else exists in her world!

Overall a great start to a series and introduction to a world. I can't wait to read ahead of True Blood and enjoy the books before the show!

Genre: Fantasy/Mystery
3.5/5 Stars
Purchased by myself

9 comments:

  1. Sookie in the books is even more lovable than Sookie in the show. I think the Tara in the show works a bit better for drama than the Tara in the books. Also I think the books are funnier than the show.

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I will see this show. Right now I am not going to pay $60 to by the series on DVD. =P Good ol' Canadian prices.

    I have read one chapter of this book so far - only because I had bought it the day I was waiting for someone to pick me up. It's on my TBR pile until I get some review books out of the way. The first chapter made me wary of the rest of the book though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen the series, so it will all be new to me when I finally start the books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like these covers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS...Think I will order the DVDs of season 1 :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, I just read and reviewed this too.

    I agree with Beth - the books are funnier. But the show has more eye candy! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been dying to see this show; I had a funny feeling that the show might be better than the books. I've been looking for a new vampire addiction since Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Maybe this will be it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have GOT to read this series!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spoilerish for book one only...don't read if you haven't read book one!!

    I think the most drastic thing for me is the Lafayette angle. I know he dies in book one so when he hung around in the show and the crazy exorcism lady took his place in that element I was a little WTF. But I'm glad it went that way because the show has given him more character and I love me some L/Eric and Pam. Fabulous stuff to go with there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...