Monday, November 23, 2009

Tales From Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan

Amazon.com:

An exchange student who's really an alien, a secret room that becomes the perfect place for a quick escape, a typical tale of grandfatherly exaggeration that is actually even more bizarre than he says... These are the odd details of everyday life that grow and take on an incredible life of their own in tales and illustrations that Shaun Tan's many fans will love.

This book is an experience. Shaun Tan's mind, I don't even know how you would describe it and coupled with his extremely beautiful art, it's just mind blowing. Basically everything you've ever heard about Shaun Tan is true, he's a master and this book is a true gem.

The stories range from one page to several, from tiny simple illustrations to full page extremely detailed ones. I haven't read his book The Arrival yet, but Tales From Outer Suburbia sure seems like a masterwork to me. Even the Table of Contents which is usually very simple in books is extremely beautiful, it might actually be my favorite page in the book. It is a series of postage stamps one for each story.

While the stories explore a variety of situations and events they all carry this feeling of a beautiful and haunting imagination. Pick this book up now, seriously.

Tales From Outer Suburbia was released on February 1st 2009
Genre: Children's Book
5/5 Stars
Review copy provided by publisher

8 comments:

  1. I am in love with Tan's artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this one. I loved The Arrival when I read it last spring, and this one should be ready for me at the library this week. I'm glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get hold of one of Tan's books - the illustrations alone look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. eric was my favorite story in this collection, and the water buffalo was my favorite illustration. Shaun Tan is one talented man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to finish reading this now that I've got it signed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just discovered the genius that is Shaun Tan! Can't wait to read this one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds interesting. Nice review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a feeling that my little brother would enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...