Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Hardcover vs Paperback 103

This One is Mine by Maria Semple




Violet Parry is living the quintessential life of luxury in the Hollywood Hills with David, her rock-and-roll manager husband, and her darling toddler, Dot. She has the perfect life--except that she's deeply unhappy. David expects the world of Violet but gives little of himself in return. When she meets Teddy, a roguish small-time bass player, Violet comes alive, and soon she's risking everything for the chance to find herself again. Also in the picture are David's hilariously high-strung sister, Sally, on the prowl for a successful husband, and Jeremy, the ESPN sportscaster savant who falls into her trap. For all their recklessness, Violet and Sally will discover that David and Jeremy have a few surprises of their own. THIS ONE IS MINE is a compassionate and wickedly funny satire about our need for more--and the often disastrous choices we make in the name of happiness. 
I always appreciated the hardcover, the painting seems like something wonderful you would see from the 1940s or something. But I could see with it being rather original that maybe some people wouldn't pick it up for maybe fear of it not being contemporary or even fiction. So I understand the switch to the paperback, but really I feel like I've seen that cover a zillion times. I like covers like that but it doesn't really separate this book from the crowd. Sort of one extreme to the other.
Thanks to Bermudaonion who also noticed this H vs. P!
Have you spotted a Hardcover vs. Paperback you would like to contribute? Send me an email!


  1. I've read this book and I think the hardcover suits the story better. Thanks for the shout out!

  2. Thanks for the review/recommendation, as this looks like a book I'd enjoy reading. I also love the cover and am suddenly craving sweets! :)

  3. notesfromnadir- I've not read this book, but it does sound interesting!

  4. I really like the paperback version of this book.

  5. Personally, I have not read the story but if I had a choice of which one to buy... I'd think I like the paperback cover art better.

    Mad Scientist


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...