Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Weekly Dose of Crafts!

Last Friday afternoon my second ever online yarn order arrived and boy was I excited!!!!!!!!!! Here it is right after I opened the top!


Here is all the yarn laid out. It might look like a lot (or maybe not) but I didn't pay over $3 for any of it and a lot of it was $1 or $1.50. I've already used up almost all of the red for a scarf you will see below. I made sure to get enough yarn to complete a project, so these are all attached to projects, mostly hats, scarves and a pair of mittens!


Remember that heart hat I started last week for my Knitting class? Well I really got going on it and realized I didn't even need any help! It was really fun to make and it fits!!! It's maybe a bit snug in one spot and it's a little longer than I would normally wear but I really like it!


Here is the scarf I made with those 8 balls of red yarn pictured above. It was the first project in either knit or crochet that I made using 2 pieces of yarn at a time! It came together really fast! The pattern was in the first issue of Crochet Today I ever got last spring, it was actually on the cover so I will attribute it to getting me interested in the magazine! 


Yarn used:
8 skeins Filati Cervinia 1616 
 
As I've been doing every week I picked and started a new project to get help with in Knitting class tonight. This week I picked this hat from 60 Quick Knits. I had some yarn I was just going to use and then decided I really really really wanted to use the yarn from the pattern (Cascade 220 Amethyst Heather) I checked 3 yarn stores and nada, but luckily at my last stop the woman working there (who had been my crochet teacher!) suggested another yarn that had a similar look and I'm rather happy with it!


Yarn used:
Plymouth Yarn Encore Worsted 2426


I'm still on a magazine kick, earlier in the week I had tried to find something new to get without any luck and then yesterday when I stopped at a new yarn store they had 2 issues I had missed in Summer when I wasn't really working on my Knitting skills which I was sad I had missed so I snatched those right up and also the new Interweave Crochet Accessories issue that I've practically been haunting stores looking for it!

Today I also picked up a skein of Bernat Mosaic in Ambrosia (one of the magazines had an ad for it and a beautiful free pattern!)



For more crafty goodness be sure to stop over at WIP Wednesday! And find me on Raverly as mint910.

15 comments:

  1. You are so crafty! The hat is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What site did you order the yarn from? I could use some good, cheap yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I love that hat!!!! I must go pick up the crochet magazine! I hope I can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I have to say I was rather impressed I was able to make it, turns out it's not that hard!

    surban- I got it from Smiley's Yarns http://www.smileysyarns.com/ :D

    Tami- I bet you will be able to find it in the next week or so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh your heart hat turned out wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. You're knitting for 5 minutes and turning out stranded colorwork. That's amazing. If I weren't so completely impressed, I might be a smidge annoyed. ;) Beautiful job -- on the hat and the yarn score!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute hat! Isn't it fun to get yarn in the mail?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alea,
    You did a beautiful job!!! That hat is so cute :D

    I never thought about ordering yarn online. I make yarn wrapped wreaths and could use an inexpensive source besides WallyMart lol

    Going to check out Smiley's Yarns !

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the box, not so much yarn. Out of the box, it's a fair bit of yarn.

    Love the hat, it very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:18 AM

    I'm always on a magazine kick! But I can't really get them here :( So I would love to know where you purchased all that yarn from?!?! Because what a great deal!!! Can't wait to see more projects from it all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love yarn orders, they're so exciting :) And that hat is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness gracious you're so fast with the craftiness! Do you have speed fingers or what?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your hat is fabulous!!!! You are a natural.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paula- Trust me, it's still error central over here. I was doing so well on that purple hat & then all of a sudden the bobbles were in the wrong section and there was a big hole so I ripped the whole thing out, hours of work gone!

    SuddenExpression - Google Smiley's Yarns! It's awesome!

    Thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...