Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Weekly Dose of Crafts!

For more crafty goodness be sure to stop over at WIP Wednesday!

Last week I made a bunch of swatches based on Attic24's tutorials, one being the Granny Stripe Blanket. I decided to start the actual blanket last Wednesday afternoon, so the below pictures show a week's worth of work. It's taking so long because I decided to start with a chain of 240 like the pattern maker Lucy did. I might even use it as a winter bedspread when I'm done!


So Wednesday afternoon I went out and bought a stash of yarn to get going on the blanket. I visited both Joann's and Michael's to get just the right colors. I based it on what Lucy had used as much as i could. I ended up picking up another skein on Sunday which isn't pictured and I actually realized last night I got the wrong pink but oh well, live in learn.


Vania’s Choice Baby:
Duckie
Pink Poodle
Sweet Pea
Bluebell
Mint
Goldfish
Cheery Cherry
Berrylicious
Little Boy Blue
Aqua

Vania’s Choice:
Silver Blue
Dusty Rose (not pictured- should have bought Pink!)

Loops and Threads: Impeccable:
Grape
Lavender
Aqua

Red Heart: Soft Baby Steps
Lavender

I'm currently working on my second stripe of each color. I'm definitely going to be needing more yarn, the question is how many more skeins of each. It seems I will be able to get almost three stripes for each color out of a skein but since I'm new to this I'm just going to buy a new round as I go. Even though this is considered cheap yarn since it's so large buying just the first 16 skeins was like $50. This is going to be an expensive blanket.


Sunday I also picked up a Yarn Tainer seen below. Not only does it help keep the yarn clean which I kept rolling onto the floor, if you pull from the middle it keeps it coming instead of having to stop and unravel more yarn every 10 minutes and risking tangles.


I've also started making some more granny square middles in hopes of making Lucy's Summer Garden Granny Square blanket at some point. This is the yarn I'm using, 95% yarn I already had!

Vanna’s Choice:
Wild Berry
Pink
Silver Blue
Dusty Blue
Mustard

Vanna’s Choice: Baby:
Pink Poodle

Loops and Threads: Impeccable:
Aqua
Grass
Rogue

Caron: Simply Soft:
Rubine Red

Red Heart: Soft Yarn:
Guacamole


And finally, yesterday I got an Amazon order that included 2 craft books I really wanted! Zombie Felties which I guess is a somewhat follow-up to Felties (it's designed in exactly the same way) but with different authors. I wonder about the different authors thing, did the original author not want to do Zombies? And then Happy Hooker which I've had my eye on for awhile!


Happy Crafting!

16 comments:

  1. It looks like a rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look how beautiful that is!! WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started to wish a few days ago I had made it in an actual rainbow patter, but oh well, another time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOD, ALEA! It's even more beautiful than I imagined. You should be so proud. I can't wait to see it finished. It makes me want to make the same thing. LOLOL I'll have to learn that stitch soon.

    Let me know how that Happy Hooker book is! I've seen it in the store but haven't really looked through it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tami! It's really easy, basically you just double crochet into the gaps! So great for doing while watching tv!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love those colors! And I admire your patience :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That blanket is beautiful! It looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful colors! That blanket is going to be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zomg. I neeeeeed to do this. Also, I love that blog! Going to read a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm loving seeing crochet in your posts again! :) That will be a lovely and cheerful blanket!! I'm going to go print out the pattern for my future project notebook. I've still got my crochet needles out and am working on my projects. Thanks again for re-inspiring me to crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree on the colors! Nice...very nice. How do you like your yarn container? I have contemplated getting one for a while, just didn't know if it was worth it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cool quilt! Those colors are all so vibrant and work well together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! The Zombie Felties! That's too awesome for words. I bet Sharon just about lost it when she saw that :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone!

    KissingToast- I really like it for say when I'm doing those stripes but for like Granny squares and stuff i haven't used it since i only need the yarn for a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really really love brightly striped crocheted blankets like this one. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is beautiful! I am thinking of trying a knitted log cabin blanket. Love all your colors.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...