Thursday, June 19, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

Visit Booking Through Thursday to join in the fun!

Think about your favorite authors, your favorite books . . . what is it about them that makes you love them above all the other authors you’ve read? The stories? The characters? The way they appear to relish the taste of words on the tongue? The way they’re unafraid to show the nitty-gritty of life? How they sweep you off to a new, distant place? What is it about those books and authors that makes them resonate with you in ways that other, perfectly good books and authors do not?

This is a hard question. I would consider The Time Traveler's Wife and The Namesake two of my favorite books. I have only read them once each (though plan to read them again and again) and these are the only books I've read by these authors (unless you consider Audrey Niffenegger's graphic novel type books, that's a different ballgame to me). I do consider these two favorite authors. I've been waiting and waiting for Audrey's Niffenegger's new book that she's talked about on her website and hope to read all of Jhumpa Lahiri's books. I think what makes a book a favorite is when it bring all the different aspects a book can have together, plot, characters, emotion, writing style. All of it, it has to be epic! I enjoy a lot of books but for it to be a favorite I think it needs to be firing on all cylinders.

3 comments:

  1. I find that I'm more choosy about an author "firing on all cylinders" too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. smilingsal- why not right! why not go for the best of the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on that: 'when it brings all the different aspects a book can have together, plot, characters, emotion, writing style.'

    if I dont like the characters, I won't enjoy the read. And the plot has to be interesting as well as believable.

    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...