Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tuesday Thingers!

Favorite bookstores. What's your favorite bookstore? Is it an online store or a bricks-and-mortar store? How often do you go book shopping? Is your favorite bookstore (or bookstores) listed as a favorite in LT? Do you attend events at local bookstores? Do you use LT to find events?

What isn't a favorite! I guess the only ones I don't like really are the ones that sell maps and really rare books. Those aren't my thing. I have a few favorite bookstores. Borders (for the most part I always have my coupon in my purse, so that sort of keeps me from buying too much, though I go about every week), Half Price Books (have coupons for them too, don't need them as much) I usually leave with a bag of books, Amazon for things I can't find in either of those two places or when I want to buy several books together, art books, anything where the price can't be beat by anyone else. I need to feel like I'm getting some sort of deal or I won't buy. That's probably a good thing. I've been buying a lot more from Amazon this year then past years.

When I'm hard up I'll go to Barnes and Noble. I will browse just about anywhere. Another favorite that I don't get too that much is Book Alcove in Maryland. It's about halfway across the country from me, whenever I visit my relatives I go there and leave with a bag! I love discovering new bookstores, as I've talked about in the vacation post a few weeks ago. Another favorite is Big Brain Comics, best comic book store in my area. They carry a few of my things too!!

I go book shopping at least once a week probably. I'm always browsing Amazon. I have my next two orders worked out in my head to take advantage of their 4 for 3 deal. I'm trying not to place the orders until I make a dent in my TBR pile. But my birthday is coming up... and I always place a Amazon book order for my birthday! It's a present to myself!

I haven't been able to find any of my local stores on librarything and nothing comes up when I enter my city. I've attended a few events at some local stores, most recently the Breaking Dawn Midnight Party and a David Sedaris Reading and Signing. I definitely hope to go to more. I come across signings at Borders since I'm there so much but it's never been anything I was interested in. It's usually local authors. The "famous" authors go to stores closer to the heart of the city.

What's your favorite bookstore? Do you need to leave your purse in the car if you go into a bookstore or take someone with you that won't let you buy anything? Do you need to block Amazon.com on your web browser?

8 comments:

  1. Lol I've placed an order for myself on amazon on my bday.... I wait to see if I get the stuff I want from friends/family.... and THEN I buy myself a bunch of books as a present :)

    I don't leave my purse in the car... but I have brought a friend with me to book sales to keep me from buying!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too - I'll browse anywhere. I even love the places that sell rare books, even though I can't afford to buy any. I've never left my purse in the car (my life is in that purse!) but I usually have my husband along when I'm book shopping, and he's really great at helping me keep the buying under control!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha - I need to block amazon in my web browser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll shop anywhere, but B&N is one block from my work downtown. I'm there over the lunch hour probably once a week. I love to buy books, but I try really hard not to until I absolutely have nothing left to read. Fortunately I have a mom and a husband who like to buy books for me.

    I visit Amazon nearly every day to check up on my Wish List and any new recommendations. This where I buy most of my books from because they're cheaper and I can get the free shipping. I'm addicted to Amazon, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bookstores that sell used books are my favorites, and especially ones with a cat or two hanging around. I like the smell of used books, and I like knowing that there's a personal history behind the book I'm reading, maybe many personal histories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't care for rare booksellers much either. It always seems that the owners don't want their books to be read - only collected for the sake of saying you own one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathleen- I usually get a book from a friend of mine but that's all, we love books for presents. It's surprising that I don't get many books! I guess they all think I know what I would like best which I guess is true. But it's still fun! I usually have my sister with me when I'm shopping and she has a face she makes at me!

    jlshall- I usually make excuses why I need need something. I'm sort of unstoppable!

    Lenore- LOL! At work I don't keep myself logged in so that helps me from adding tons to my wishlist, at home is another story. Can't you get a browser button that adds books to your wishlist, or is that somewhere else?

    A- I'm thinking we have visited the same Barnes and Noble. I usually go early in the morning around 7:30 am. I don't work downtown but wait for my transfer a block from that B &N. I'm all about the cheapness that is amazon and the free shipping! Especially for design books, you can't beat 12 dollars off!

    Charley- We had a really nice bookstore like that where I went to college. Whenever I go back to visit it's closed though, very limited hours!

    Book Zombie- Yeah, and to be frank, most of them look really really boring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:28 PM

    LOL @ What isn't a favorite!

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...