Sunday, June 13, 2010

Kiss it by Erin Downing

Amazon.com:

A girl's gotta do who a girl's gotta do.

Chastity Bryan has never been shy about going after what she wants. And when sexy, mysterious, so-not-from-this-town Sebastian walks into Chaz's life, she knows in an instant that what she wants next is him. Chaz has no intention of playing for keeps—but she most definitely has intentions. Who needs true love when you've got true lust?

Sebastian has no idea what he's in for—but maybe neither does Chaz?

When I heard Kiss It described as raunchy and frank when it comes to female sexuality (also with a disclaimer that it’s not suggested for 14 and under by the author) I knew I had to check this out! After reading it I wouldn’t call the book raunchy exactly but I would definitely say it does deal with the sensitive and important issues of teen sexuality in a VERY open way, so be ready for that when reading this book.


Main character Chastity (what a name!) lives in a very small town that she realizes is not where she wants to live out her life, but while she’s waiting it out in high school there she wants to get some experience, in the sexuality department. The pickings are slim in her mind but she tests out the waters, never really finding the right person to go through this education with, until Sebastian comes into town. In Sebastian she sees something different and knows she wants to get to know him better.

What I liked about this book was besides a secondary story with her best friend (that I saw coming from a mile away) I wasn’t really sure where the story was going to go and I liked that. I also really liked the small town jokes, I recall snorting a few times I think! Nothing really crazy happens but sometimes that's ok. It was very realistic in the way everything is sort of open ended but personally I would have liked a few more plotlines tied up by the end of the book. I felt like we were going somewhere but we didn't quite get there.

It's definitely a coming of age story but deals with the idea of sex a lot more than other similar books I've read. I liked Chastity's voice and sarcastic tone but it was still missing something in the end, I haven't yet been able to put my finger on.

Kiss It will be released on June 15th
Genre: Young Adult
3.5/5 Stars
Review copy provided by the author

1 comment:

  1. I do agree that this book dealt with sex in a very open way, but i just couldnt seem to connect to Chaz and found her fantasies and behaviour a little too erratic. I loved her voice though, she was so sarky and funny!! Fab review.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...