Sunday, July 19, 2009

Breathing by Cheryl Renee Herbsman

Amazon.com: Savannah would be happy to spend the summer in her coastal Carolina town working at the library and lying in a hammock reading her beloved romance novels. But then she meets Jackson. Once they lock eyes, she’s convinced he’s the one—her true love, her soul mate, a boy different from all the rest. And at first it looks like Savannah is right. Jackson abides by her mama’s strict rules, and stays by her side during a hospitalization for severe asthma, which Savannah becomes convinced is only improving because Jackson is there. But when he’s called away to help his family—and seems uncertain about returning—Savannah has to learn to breathe on her own, both literally and figuratively.

Breathing is a perfect book to read in the summer. What a wonderful story. Watching Savannah come into her own over one summer, meeting the love of her life Jackson, and learning things about herself she never knew were possible.

Savannah goes through a roller coaster of emotions, up and down and up and down, because of her family, her severe asthma, and because of Jackson. I really worried for her at some points, her asthma could really put her in danger from time to time. Her trips to the hospital made it hard for her mom to keep a job because she refused to tell her bosses why she couldn't come to work, she didn't want them to pity her.

I really liked Savannah's voice and her attitude towards life. She's sort of carefree but at the same time really determined. I love the dialect that the author brings into this story. I could hear the story in my head with Savannah's accent, I think that really helped ground the story in a culture and a location. I thought the ending was spot on, I was a little worried for awhile it wouldn't end that way but it's definitely the way the ending should have been!

Overall a wonderful summer story!

Breathing was released April 16th.
Genre: Young Adult
4/5 Stars
ARC provided by publisher

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:10 AM

    I had never seen this one, but it sounds good! And it does sound like a summer read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I've been tempted to read this one.

    I'll add to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! Makes me want to head out to the bookstore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cover of this book and the storyline sounds like the perfect summer read. I'm glad to hear it's good.

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good one. Thanks for the review!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is in my to read pile, and I can't wait to read it. Right now I am in the middle of reading two other Class of 2k9 books. They are all so good.

    I did not read your full post because I didn't want to know too much before reading. I just wanted to see wheter or not you liked it, so seeing your positive feedback makes me even more excited for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Review!
    It just makes me want to read the book WAY more now!
    It sounds like a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A determined, young female character sounds wonderful to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh -- A strong female lead in a 4/5 YA novel? Sounds like a good one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I am glad that you enjoyed reading this one since I have had my eye on it for a while due to the amazing cover. :)

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad that you liked this book! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...